06 May 2006

On The Outside, Looking Out

I don't know how it appears to others, but here's how I describe most of my life and my personal tastes. For a lot of my life, when I've had to make some decision about a direction to take, something new to try, what music to listen to, it seems that I've consciously chosen the option that I thought would be least popular. Not reprehensible; different. Just trying to come up with a unique combination. I've never felt that I fit in very good anywhere or with any particular group. So I would try to make sure that I couldn't fit in.
I don't know how sad that is; it's hard for me to objectively think about. Was it a desperate attempt by some kid to differentiate himself in a sea of conformity? Was it narcissism taken to an extreme? Have I changed yet? Am I trying to make it seem more important than it ever was? Just how fake am I? How can I ever even answer that one?

3 Comments:

At 07 May, 2006 06:51, Blogger Ross said...

I could have written these lines.. I don't look down that barrel very often.

 
At 07 May, 2006 15:53, Blogger Sh33p said...

Do I keep looking for the answers, or just move on?

 
At 08 May, 2006 08:43, Blogger Ross said...

Answers? You want answers?

I think I just care less and less about what other people think about me... pretty soon I'll be wearing black socks and flip-flops on the beach and enjoying light beer :-)

My parents LOVE mainstream, middle-of-the road everything.. Coors Beer, 'Easy Listening" music, American cars, (**Blech**) and so a lot of my tastes I can trace back to a desire to break out of that mold. But I was also raised in the disco generation and so my music and "fasion" tastes where born out of a rejection of that culture too.

I guess in general, maybe it's always been easier for me to decide on what I'm NOT going to be about, rather than what I AM going to be about.

Maybe I'll grow up someday and be able to drive my train from the engine rather than from the caboose...

See, I'm no help at all

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker Add to The Free Dictionary Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.